Do you have a friend or family member who swears by Ativan? Have you used it and found it to be a miracle drug? Do you have zero idea what it is?
What Do You Know About Ativan?
In today’s post, we’ll explore Ativan: its composition, its purpose, and its shortcomings.
Let’s begin with a quiz.
- Ativan is a prescribed tranquilizing medication. True or False?
- Ativan is used to treat which of the following?
a) Symptoms of anxiety
b) Insomnia or trouble falling and staying asleep
c) A severe type of seizure called status epilepticus
d) All of the above
- What are some common side effects when taking Ativan?
d) All of the above
- What is one of the most serious and uncommon side effects of taking Ativan?
a) Shouting obscenities at random times
c) Suicidal thoughts
d) Tension headaches
How do you think you did? Let’s check out the answers:
1) True; Ativan is a prescribed tranquilizing medication.
2) D. Ativan is used to treat all of the listed ailments: symptoms of anxiety, insomnia or trouble falling and staying asleep, and status epilepticus.
3) D. Taking Ativan can cause all of the listed side effects: drowsiness, dizziness, and weakness.
4) C. Suicidal thoughts are the most uncommon but most serious of the side effects Ativan can cause. People with depression should never take Ativan, even if they are prescribed it by a medical professional.
More About Ativan
Ativan (generic name lorazepam) is a prescription drug that belongs to a family of drugs called benzodiazepines, which also includes the prescription drugs Xanax, Klonopin, and Valium. Benzos like lorazepam are frequently prescribed for any number of discomforts, including anxiety. In fact, it is one of the most commonly prescribed types of drug in the world. Generally speaking, it is safe to use when you follow the prescription.
Benzos Like Ativan Can Be Dangerous
When taken properly, drugs like it have a mild calming effect, just like a low-grade sedative. However, some people who take it can come to crave the slightly euphoric feeling it provides and start to take more and more of it to increase that feeling. In addition to potentially leading to dependence and addiction, it can also present the following dangers:
- Affecting coordination, especially in the elderly
- Augmenting the effect of other drugs and alcohol
- Interfering with memory
Despite these possible pitfalls, when used properly, can be very helpful for those suffering from the following ailments:
- Insomnia, sleep-walking, or sleep-talking
- Muscle pain
- Panic disorders
With a large increase in anxiety and mental health problems due to the COVID pandemic, many people are using Ativan to relieve stress.
If you or a loved one is worried about someone you know and their benzodiazepine use, don’t hesitate to reach out to Great Oaks Recovery Center. We know that withdrawal symptoms from Ativan can sometimes be quite intense if a dependency has been formed. Symptoms can include:
- Headache and anxiety
- Insomnia and irritability
- Tremors and panic attacks
We Are Here To Help You
If you are suffering from these symptoms, you don’t have to suffer alone. We can help you detox from any substances, and we can teach you better ways to manage the underlying issues that led to your use. Contact us today to ask questions, receive answers, and find support and comfort.