Okay, not all of us want to repost uplifting social media memes or tape aspirational posties to our bathroom mirror. But we certainly like to discover new ways to improve our mood and add to our motivation to stay sober and healthy. Many podcasts feature guests with interesting perspectives on many aspects of emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual health—and just might be the key that starts your inspiration engine.
How to Increase Motivation
Contrary to popular belief, successful motivation is usually an inside job. Positive Psychology defines intrinsic motivation as doing something “just because we want to do it and because the act of doing it provides us with a feeling of pleasure, based on our natural interests, values, and passions.”
It goes on to say that we feel most motivated when three basic needs are met: autonomy, competence, and relatedness. Yes, external motivators such as more money or a new title can be helpful in some situations, but they don’t provide long-lasting satisfaction without intrinsic intent.
It’s not always easy to maintain the necessary motivation to see all your goals through each day. Performing regular exercise, surrounding yourself with supportive people, being organized, and getting enough sleep are all ways to keep the spark lit.
10 Podcasts That Add to Your Motivation
Listening to podcasts boosts your motivation by exposing you to new concepts, teaching you different skills, and giving you more tools to help realize your potential. Here are some possible selections.
- Sober Motivation With Brad McLeod:Getting to the heart of human connection, this weekly podcast features different guests “sharing their sobriety stories in hopes to inspire others about what is possible.” McLeod’s website offers many additional resources to keep people mindful of their sobriety journey.
- Optimal Living Daily: With a variety of hosts and numerous informational portals—including mental and physical health, finance, personal development, and productivity—creator Justin Malik and his team also provide worksheets and actionable tips to enable your progress.
- Huberman Lab: Dr. Andrew Huberman is a tenured professor of neurobiology and ophthalmology at Stanford School of Medicine, and uses his podcast to explore “science and science-based tools for everyday life.” Topics range from the connection between diet and mental health to accessing your creativity, all from the standpoint of maximizing brain power.
- Happier With Gretchen Rubin: Author and founder of The Happiness Project, Rubin provides “thought-provoking insights into happiness and good habits to this lively podcast with helpful ideas, suggestions, interviews, and research-based strategies.”
- The Daily Motivation With Lewis Howe: As the name suggests, each day you’ll hear from “industry-leading experts, you’ll learn proven principles, and you’ll discover life-changing ideas that will help you get motivated and stay motivated.” Best-selling author Howe calls it “The School of Greatness.”
- Self Care IRL: Author and wellness expert Ty Alexander created this weekly blog to “explore strategies and ideas for becoming your best self through active healing. This podcast will inspire you to take life by the horns and enjoy the ride despite your traumas or circumstances.”
- Mindvalley:Created by Vishen Lakhiani, this show features top-notch experts in a multitude of areas, including entrepreneurship, love and relationships, productivity, health, and more. Stemming from a multifaceted education platform, “the Mindvalley curriculum is designed to unleash the fullest potential of your mind, body, and spirit.”
- Tiny Leaps, Big Changes: Each week, Greg Clunis presents this personal development podcast that’s “focused on exploring the day-to-day behaviors we all engage in that determine the results we gain in our lives, and shares simple strategies you can implement into your life to start moving the needle towards your biggest goals.”
- Michelle Obama: The Light Podcast: New to the podcast universe is the former first lady expanding on concepts from her 2022 release, The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times. Featuring notable celebrity guests, the conversations cover a wide range of topics, “From building lasting relationships and meaningful success to overcoming obstacles and navigating identity.”
- The Resilience Podcast: Presented by the Resilience Institute, this show is “dedicated to resilience insights, interviews and practical tips” from guests all over the world.
Help, Hope, and Healing Near Houston, Texas
An addiction recovery journey offers many essential positives, including the opportunity to discover new and exciting ways to improve your quality of life. If you or a loved one is ready for such a transformation, reach out to our admissions team today and learn how we can help you.